Saturday, March 30, 2013

Thendara House by Marion Zimmer Bradley


Thendara House by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
 DAW Books, 1983.

Overview: While this is the sequel to Shattered Chain, which I read first, expecting some lesbian action (or at least main-character romance), it could probably be read as a stand-alone novel. Neither is very long, however, so I would recommend reading Shattered Chain first for the full backstory which is recapped in bits and pieces in its sequel. Magdalene Lorne, a Terran Intelligence agent, was raised on Darkover, where she was one of only a handful of Terrans immersed in Darkovan culture. In Thendara House, Magda, who became a sworn Renunciate (or Free Amazon) in Shattered Chain, goes to the Thendara Guild House to complete her six months of training. Renunciates swear an oath not to depend on men for protection, to not marry religiously, not to bear children except in her “own time and season,” to defend herself with force if attacked by force, that all women under the oath will be her sisters, and more. Even the better part of this book is more focused on Magda’s struggles with her training and her oath-mother (that is, the woman who took her oath) Jaelle’s increasing disillusionment with her partner, Peter Haldane, who also happens to be Magda’s ex-husband. Eventually, however, Magda has to come to terms with her sexuality.

My reaction: For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. Following Magda and Jaelle’s experiences of culture shock, and watching interplanetary politics unfold kept me occupied even as I wondered whether this book, too, would not qualify for a review. World-building for the sake of world-building can drive me crazy, but I love it when it is done well. While the reader learns a lot about Darkovan and Terran etiquette, habits, and mores, every detail feels well-integrated into the plot. I do wish Magda hadn’t been quite so uncomfortable with her lesbian sisters and her own sexuality, but I’ll cut her some slack since the Terran Zone is apparently pretty homophobic. I also admit that after I started really rooting for one relationship, it was a little hard at first for me to accept another one. My only other misgiving—and this is pretty major—was the demonization of men. Bradley doesn’t make all men villains, but Jaelle determines, based on her only heterosexual relationship, that men in general, not just Peter, will feel the need to “possess” her. Ugh. I know the patriarchy exists, but it’s not a biological drive! I think that she figures that out at the conclusion, but THAT squicked me out in a way that I can’t discuss without spoiling it. If you’re a fan of world-building, though, I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment