Saturday, May 4, 2013

You Can’t Run from Love by Kate Snowdon


You Can’t Run from Love by Kate Snowdon
Bella Books, 2013.

Overview: Jess Brewster, an attractive outdoorsy Scot, meets Rachel Cummings, a "gorgeous" American children's book illustrator, at the lodge she owns with her uncle, who raised her after her parents were killed in a car accident. Pining and palpable sexual tension ensues, with more than a splash of tragic backstory for both lovebirds. 

My reactionThis is the first romance reviewed on this blog, and after laughing and cringing my way through a few chapters of a Harlequin romance (the Lesbrarian had to read one for a class on adult genre fiction), it soars high over that low bar in terms of writing. I can't go so far as to praise the plot on its own merits, but on the whole it was an enjoyable and quick read. That said, I'd give the plot a B-. It's definitely a fun setting, mostly appealing protagonists, etc., but my goodness, some things just don't make sense. Your dying uncle wants you to be happy? MUST. NOT. GET. TOGETHER with someone who has an awesome (totally platonic) relationship with him (It's not like he's homophobic!). Instead, be unhappy because you're extremely horny for each other and won't do anything about it. Perfectly logical. That's the major thing  that drove me crazy, but it was pretty important to the plot. Also, when communication issues cropped up, I wanted to  yell, "Talk to each other!!" 

On the other hand, sex scenes get an A-. The "-" is for some giggle-inducing terminology (WHY must this not be the first book I've read in which a woman has "feasted" on another??! Blech) and some things that are slightly unrealistic (in my opinion) but still sexy. I've gotta say, Jess and Rachel are REALLY into each other, and that definitely carries it.

Strictly speaking, this falls into our "Meh" category, but I wouldn't want that to scare anyone off from a good afternoon read. It might be NSFW, though, depending on how susceptible you are to the genre!

No comments:

Post a Comment