Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ghost Motel by Jackie Manthorne

Ghost Motel by Jackie Manthorne
Gynergy Books, 1994


Overview: When Harriet (Harry) stops for the night at a deserted looking motel on her way down Cape Cod, she doesn't expect to be the last to see the enigmatic owner, Gertie, alive. After reading about Gertie's death two days later, Harry feels compelled to return to the motel to discover what really happened.

My Reaction: It's the rare book that makes me say this, but Ghost Motel is bad. Really bad - and not even in the ridiculous way that still might make it enjoyable reading. On top of being one of the most thoroughly un-mysterious mysteries I have ever read and lacking any kind of detection on Harry's part, it has one of the most cliché rocky relationship story arcs imaginable.  At one point, Harry's lover Judy actually says "it's not you, it's me" and "please realize I'm not trying to hurt you" AND "I have to do this for myself" within the space of the same page. One of the cardinal rules of the mystery genre states that while other subplots, such as a love interest, a relationship or a leaky basement can enter into the narrative, none should overshadow the investigation. No such luck here - more than half of this 174 page book passed before Harry even got back to the motel to "investigate" Gertie's death (which consisted of one late-night foray to the scene of the crime; the rest of the mystery was solved by others telling her what happened). And don't even get me started on all the mist-filled dreams that Harry has about Gertie. Leave no cliché unturned, I suppose!

In short, Ghost Motel, it's not me, it's you.

No comments:

Post a Comment